Egg bowls have quickly become a staple in my “what can I whip up that’s easy and healthy” arsenal. I approach them as you would a poke bowl—you start with a good base, (in this case, polenta) and layer in a variety of flavors to your liking. Polenta is simply corn meal that is pretty much flavorless, but serves as a great foundation to any meal—the best part about it? It’s gluten free!
This healthy, but hearty dish can be constructed based on the flavors you fancy. Craving a little Tex-Mex? Throw in some black beans and salsa. More on the Mediterranean train? Roast some cherry tomatoes and add a dollop of pesto. That’s the beauty of these bowls, you can’t go wrong with any theme you choose, but be sure to pick a genre and stick to it. We’re not endorsing a black beans and pesto combo, although crazier things have happened.
Be forewarned, polenta congeals the longer you hang onto it. So, if you find yourself with a Tupperware of sticky polenta after a day or two, consider forming round balls or squares and grill them for a different consistency. You can top them with a piece of chicken or fish and a veggie for an easy, gluten-free week night meal.
Polenta Egg Bowl
Ingredients (serves two):
- 1 roll of polenta
- 1 avocado
- 1 package of Canadian bacon
- 2 eggs
- Mild or spicy salsa
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the polenta into 1 inch round coins.
- Coat your pan on a stovetop range with olive oil.
- Toss the polenta into the pan until grilled on either side (feel free to mash them around or keep their integrity, it doesn’t much matter either way!).
- Set the polenta aside.
- Dice the Canadian bacon into small cubes. Throw them into the same pan you used for the polenta until lightly charred, set aside.
- Cut your avocado into slices.
- Pan fry two eggs until desired consistency is achieved (we like ours a little runny for this dish).
- Compile a bowl starting with the polenta as the foundation. Arrange the various toppings, in this case the avocado and Canadian bacon, on top of the polenta.
- Top with a fried egg and a dollop of salsa. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix up all that goodness up and enjoy!