With a super busy schedule and lots of meals on-the-go, I love going home to my mother’s cooking, which is delicious but rarely very healthy. Over Thanksgiving, my mom made this scrumptious stuffed French Toast Thursday morning—as if we weren’t going to be stuffed enough that evening. It’s delicious and easy to make, just try not to estimate the calories in the dish—some things are better left a mystery.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
– 1 8 oz. tub of cream cheese (low fat or regular)
– 3 tbsp. sugar
– 8 slices of bread (Mom used cinnamon-swirl).
– 5 eggs
– 1/2 cup milk
– Fresh berries (Mom used blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries)
– Mix cream cheese and sugar until well-blended.
– Spread onto bread thickly, all edges.
– Place 4 bread slices cream side up in a greased 8 inch square baking dish.
– Cover with remaining bread slices, cream cheese side down.
– Whisk eggs and milk until well-blended.
– Pour mixture over bread.
– Lightly sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar on the top.
– Cover and refrigerate overnight.
– Next Day: Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until center is set and top is light brown.
– Top with fresh fruit, syrup, whipped cream, powdered sugar, or whatever your fancy.
– Bon Appétit!