Every February, there’s a bit of glamour injected into our seasonal depression thanks to the glitz and Hollywood charm of the Oscars. We’ve been averaging about a movie a week, in an effort to catch up on all of the films nominated for best picture in time for the Oscars this Sunday. In case you haven’t had a chance to check out the front runners, here’s our synopsis in one word: The Big Short: mind-blowing, Spotlight disturbing, Brooklyn: heartwarming, Bridge Of Spies: tense, The Martian: survival, Mad Max: futuristic, Room: claustrophobic, The Revenant: cold.
Now that you’re up to speed on the best movies of the year, let’s move on to the other essential element of every Oscar viewing party: booze and food.
Moscow mule is one of our favorite cocktails. On our recent trip to Cognac, we experienced a “winterized” version with Meukow Cognac and loved everything about it. It’s a perfect cocktail for entertaining!
- 1 1/4 oz of Meukow Cognac 90 Proof
- 1/2 oz of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 oz of simple syrup
- 1 dash of Angostura Aromatic bitter
- Top with ginger beer and add then a wedge of lime
For a quick appetizer that looks glamorous, we turn to these prosciutto wrapped breadsticks with olive oil and sea salt. They’re a unique spin on a cheese plate, and will kick any party up a notch.
Prosciutto Wrapped Breadsticks
Total time: 5 minutes
- Thin breadsticks (also called Grissini)
- Thinly sliced prosciutto
- Sea Salt
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
(This can be prepared up to 20 minutes before serving, but good luck resisting eating them.)
1. Slice each piece of prosciutto in half lengthwise.
2. Wrap the prosciutto around the breadsticks at an angle. Use 2 cut pieces of prosciutto per breadstick.
3. Line up the assembled breadsticks and lightly spray or drizzle them with EVOO.
4. Sprinkle sea salt to taste.