I have been on a tofu kick for a while now. While I am not vegetarian, I just enjoy the taste of tofu and love that it can be a healthy alternative to replace meat in some dishes, especially with summer approaching. My bikinis are out of storage and I try to tell them “I want to be your friend!” but they just don’t understand that my body is not quite ready for them yet!
I try to go meatless two days a week, on Monday and Wednesdays. I encourage everyone to try and cut back on meat consumption— for the environment, for your body, and just to change things up. I think it’s great for anyone to find ways to incorporate more vegetables into their diet. I personally really like it because it challenges me to find new ways to fill up, and it also encourages me to experiment with different recipes and try new things.
This stir fry dish is light, easy, and delicious. It uses all common ingredients, but what I especially love about a recipe like this is that you can mess around with both the proteins and the veggies and no matter the ingredient mix, it will still be delicious. This sauce is light and tangy, and full of flavor.
- 1½ cup uncooked brown rice or farro
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu
- 2 cups chopped asparagus
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3 green onions, minced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons honey (more to taste)
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- For the Sauce: Puree all the sauce ingredients together in a food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the rice or farro according to package directions.
- Cut the tofu into slices and press with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Wait a few minutes and press again – there’s lotsa water in there!
- Cut the tofu slices into small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shiny, add the tofu and about ¼ cup of the stir fry sauce (watch out because the sauce and oil will spatter a tiny bit – have a cover ready or just skip the sauce at this point). Pan-fry the tofu until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel lined plates.
- Prepare the Veggies: Return the pan to the heat and add the asparagus with ¼ cup stir fry sauce. When the asparagus is bright green and tender crisp, add the carrots and toss together.
- Arrange the veggies and tofu over the cooked rice or farro, and cover with more sauce to taste. Sprinkle with the green onions.
Notes: To make this gluten free, make sure your soy sauce and your tofu are both certified gluten free brands. To make this vegan, use an alternative sweetener in place of honey.You can find tofu in the produce section of most grocery stores. I sprinkled mine with the tiniest amount of chili powder right in the frying pan to bump up the golden color.
Source: Pinch Of Yum