It was one of those special weekend mornings where the city felt alive. After a good Barry’s Bootcamp sweat, I was strolling around Union Square with rose- colored glasses. Or, in this case, sunshine-flooded glasses. The warm weather brought out more vendors and more people to the Greenmarket, and the energy around me convinced me to do my shopping there on the way home.
I had plans to day drink for a friend’s birthday, so I bought some scallops, left them in the fridge, and went on my merry way. In retrospect, this was unreasonable, because after a day of drinks in the sun, all I wanted was pizza. However, I didn’t want to waste my fresh scallops, so I forced myself to start cooking a gourmet meal, with a beer stein in my hand.
So I’ll say right now..if I could put this together inebriated, you can make it sober. This was so easy and SO yummy. I love scallops because they pick up flavor easily and cook in a few minutes.
We both loved this dish; this encompassed the fresh flavors of summer, with a tangy cilantro, ginger, orange dressing, and delicious crusted coriander scallops. It would be perfect as both a side, starter, or lighter main. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds, coarsely crushed in resealable bag with mallet
- 16 sea scallops, side muscles removed
- 8 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 navel orange, peel and pith removed, cut between membranes into segments
- Whisk juice concentrate, vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, ginger, and cilantro in small bowl. Season dressing with salt and pepper.
- Place crushed coriander seeds on plate.
- Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper, then press both sides in coriander to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add scallops and cook until golden brown and just opaque in center, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side.
- Divide greens, orange, and scallops among 4 plates.
- Drizzle dressing over.
Source: Bon Appetit