I don’t know about you, but sometimes I need a little extra kick in the morning in order to start my day on the right foot.
After coming back from a long trip visiting the in-laws, two things ranked high on my priority list: homemade brunch and the ability to start crossing things off my never ending to-do list.
Inspired by my mornings with the in-laws, spicy chai came to mind as it has enough heat to really get me fired up for the day. With warmer temps en route, most of us will make the switch from hot to iced beverages. I’m not a fan of watered down drinks, so I figured I’d incorporate spicy chai into something edible, instead.
Since I’m a waffle versus pancake kind of Bitch, I was on the hunt for a basic waffle recipe, which I found immediately on Pinterest.
After tweaking the basic waffle recipe it a bit, I grabbed the ingredients from the pantry and got to work.
Since my husband loves anything with coconut, I decided to compliment these waffles with a sweetened coconut milk drizzle. This doubled as an effort to please his taste buds, yet, prevented me from eating the entire batch of waffles.
Adapted from a recipe on She Bakes Here.
Chai Spiced Waffles
- 1 2/3 cup almond milk
- 3 bags of chai tea
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Cooking spray
- coconut milk
- 1 tbsp confectioner sugar
1. Pour almond milk and tea bags into a pan. Heat over medium to medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the milk/tea mixture cool for another 15 minutes on the stove. Remove tea bags, squeezing the extra milk from the bag into the mixture.
2. Beat egg yolks (save the egg whites and place aside) and sugar in a bowl. Add oil, milk and tea.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. While whisking, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry.
5. Beat the egg whites and stir into batter. Pour 1/4 of the batter into the waffle iron. (spray)
6. While the waffle iron does its magic, whisk together coconut milk and confection sugar, until blended.
7. Once the waffles are done, drizzle coconut mixture over the waffles and enjoy!