There are so many things about living in the suburbs that I took for granted growing up, and now that I face the potential of a lifetime of city dwelling, visiting my childhood home in Maryland this weekend rustled up a whole host of nostalgic emotions (and recipes!).
The sheer weight that’s lifted from my shoulders when I escape to greener pastures is an enabler, and I was inspired to cook for my family as a thank you for hosting me and handing over the rights to their car for the weekend, despite my city rustiness. I chose a family favorite and one full of carbs to fuel my 16 mile run the next morning: three pepper pesto pasta.
I reveled in grocery shopping in the burbs. My typical shop involves strategizing with Paul over who mans the line and who is responsible for running around Trader Joe’s frantically to fill the cart by the time we reach checkout. For this meal, however, I strolled aimlessly through pristine, empty rows, bought organic versions at half the price, and leisurely sampled my way through the store. By the time I’d arrived home, I was in such a zen spot I could have happily cooked for an army.
This dish is super easy and a crowd pleaser, and offers a somewhat fancier version of the pasta and sauce you were planning on dumping together for tonight’s dinner. It involves a simple pepper sauté, store-bought pesto (or homemade if you’re feeling inspired) and some good quality parmesan. Throw it all together and you’ve got yourself a great meal, and enough cold leftovers to last for several tasty lunches.
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 C canned Italian-style plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 9 oz spinach linguine, freshly cooked
- 1/2 C prepared pesto
- Grated Parmesan
- Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add bell peppers, onion, and garlic and saute until soft, 6 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and simmer 7 minutes.
- Toss linguine with pesto.
- Divide evenly among 4 plates.
- Spoon bell pepper sauce over.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.