Sweet potatoes are their own food group in my house. I’d be completely content including them in every dinner I cook, from sides of sweet wedges to mains of creamy pureed soup. I love them for the delicious flavor, but it doesn’t hurt that they are a nutritional powerhouse and have so many health benefits. People tend to incorrectly associate the sweet potato with the regular potato, immediately dismissing it as an unhealthy starch. It’s so much more than that!!
Do yourself a favor and make these super easy baked sweet potatoes with crispy shallots for your next meal. These are very filling and I tend to serve them with a light main, but feel free to load up your plate if you so desire. I also served these with a generous portion of freshly made sour cream purchased at the Greenmarket, which is worlds better than any processed store-bought version. Don’t skimp on the sour cream! Greek yogurt works well as a substitute. Cheers!
- 2 (thinly sliced into rings) Shallots
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 lb Sweet Potatoes
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, heat the olive oil in a medium pot set over medium-low heat.
- Add half the shallots to the oil, breaking up the rings as you go.
- Fry until just turning golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with the remaining shallots.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, cut them in half and top with sour cream and crispy shallots.