Healthy eating is always the name of the game. But when you live in New York, it’s so tempting to nip out to a restaurant for dinner every night. I have to force myself to stay in a night or two each week just to save some pennies—and cut back on all those delicious but sodium-laced restaurant meals.
I recently found a great meal delivery option that packs a massive healthy punch, and the food is just as delicious. It’s called Peach Dish, and it’s a Georgia-based service that collaborates with award-winning Southern chefs to create meals that are totally gluten-free and packed with superfood ingredients.
I love cooking at home, and this service means I can avoid the grocery store entirely. Plus, the healthy meals make up for all my restaurant-hopping, and all that gluten I regularly consume. I can’t resist a bread basket …
I asked the Southern company to send us some meals so that we could share the recipes. Every meal is fewer than 700 calories and has at least four superfoods. Plus, they offer “quick fixes” that can be made in 35 minutes or less. If you want to sign up, click here.
Rice Grits with Pea Greens, Sunflower Seeds & Feta Cheese
- 1 cup Delta Blues Brown Rice Grits
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 onion
- 3 oz. carrot
- 4 oz. broccolini
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 cube Edward & Sons Low Sodium Veggie bouillon
- 1/4 tsp. PeachDish Salt
- plus more to taste 2 sprigs parsley
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 oz. Andi’s Way pea greens
- 1.5 oz crumbled feta
1. Prepare your mise en place: Peel and mince 2 cloves garlic. Pick and chop thyme leaves. Peel and cut onion into small (1/4 inch) dice. Peel and cut carrot into small dice. Finely chop broccolini stems, leaving florets whole. Pick and chop parsley leaves.
2. Place a medium saucepot with a lid over medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil. When the oil is hot add garlic, thyme and onion. Cook, stirring, until onion begins to become translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add carrot and broccolini stems, and continue to cook, stirring, until carrot begins to sweat and change in color, about 3 minutes more.
4. Stir in rice and broccolini florets, thoroughly coating them in oil. Add 1 3/4 cups water, bouillon cube and 1/4 teaspoon PeachDish Salt.
5. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 10 minutes.
6. Fluff in parsley with a fork. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with PeachDish Salt. Serve topped with sunflower seeds, pea greens and feta. Enjoy!
BitchBiz: This post was written independently. Peach Dish sent us a box of meals.