I spent the past week in England celebrating the life of a very special man named Tony over countless tears, pints, and chocolate, 2/3rds of which he would have approved of.
After all the comfort I could possibly squeeze out of food and drink, I returned to America desperate to get back on my summer diet, suddenly dreading the bikini-clad vacations looming in my future.
I was eager to make something light after all the pies I consumed and was even more eager to feature the summer ingredients glistening on display in Whole Foods when I went grocery shopping that evening.
This Peach, Tomato, & Basil salad caught my eye immediately, inspired by a grilled peach salad I had while I was away. It required minimal ingredients and seemed to capture summer in a recipe perfectly, so it was an easy decision.
It was as deliciously mouthwatering as it looks. I had no idea what to expect when I took my first bite, with the unusual combination of fruit, beans, cheese, and vegetables, but it worked fabulously. So much for summer diet..I think I ate four portions.
This also made for a delicious (but semi-soggy) lunch the next day. I highly recommend trying this dish for your next barbecue!
- 2 large peaches
- 2 large tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup feta crumbles
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar (or substitute red wine or white wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Thinly slice the ½ red onion. Place it in a small bowl and cover in cold water. Squeeze the onion slices in the water 5 to 6 times. Drain the water, and repeat the squeeze and rinse 2 more times. Then place the slices back in the bowl and cover with cold water while you assemble the salad. (This process helps to tone down the bite of the red onion.)
- Dice the peaches. Dice the tomatoes. Cut the basil into thin strips. Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a canning jar, pour 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey, 2 pinches kosher salt, and some fresh ground pepper. Shake vigorously to combine.
- Drain the onions and squeeze them dry. In a large bowl, mix together tomatoes, peaches, beans, basil, red onion, and dressing gently together. Add a few additional pinches kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese.
Source: A Couple Cooks