It’s pretty impossible to entertain effectively while flipping enough individual omelettes to feed a group of visitors, let alone relax and actually enjoy your brunch party. To avoid feeling like a line cook and running around like a crazy person trying to attend to four skillets, try this baked egg dish instead.
My mom introduced me to this recipe over the course of many weekend visitors and I immediately embraced the refreshing alternative to my standard scrambles. This dish serves at least eight people, sits in the oven while you gab with friends, and delivers a delicious, cheesy, and dangerously addictive brunch option. Plus, anything with more than one kind of cheese is a winner, no? I will add that this really isn’t healthy when you consider the whipping cream, butter, and excessive amounts of cheese, but I wouldn’t share if it wasn’t worth the brunch cals.
– 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 3 large leeks, white and pale green only — coarsely chopped
– 1 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 8 fresh eggs
– 2 cups whipping cream
– 2 tablespoons & 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon — chopped
– Ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Grease a 9″ × 13″ glass baking dish.
3. In butter, sauté leeks until tender. Spread in bottom of baking dish. Mix cheese and spread all but 1/2 cup over the leeks.
4. Whisk together eggs, cream, tarragon and pepper.
5. Pour into dish. (At this point, dish can be refrigerated overnight).
6. Bake for 30 minutes until top is golden brown and center is set.
7. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and return to oven until cheese melts.